the logical next step...

For all discussion and ideas for bringing back classic Knightmare.
Biggles
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

the logical next step...

Post by Biggles »

Right, what does everyone think of creating a new tv show, sort of in the veign of knightmare? in that groups of kids will be brought in to roleplay, although instead of one of them wandering around on the screen, a variety of improv actors would prance about, representing each of their chosen characters surrounded by computerised effects, a variety of medievilish props and other improv actors for the various npc's, all taking their cues from the 'players' and dungeonmaster, who effectively direct the action live (though often this fact won't be made obvious). Eg televised dungeons and dragons, acted in real time, with perhapse even audience participation.
Anyway, just wondering on your thoughts.
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Re:the logical next step...

Post by TheBrollachan »

Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmokeHits
Keeper of the original modellers' cast of the Brollachan.
Biggles
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Biggles »

thanks.

I was thinking of going for a slightly more live action theme over entirely computerised effect (although these would be used for backgrounds, large monsters and 'special' effects etc.), and not nescessarily set in the NM world. But it's interesting to see that something like this is being produced.
Atmosfear
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Atmosfear »

Biggles,

I like the sound of your idea - while on one hand we'll (maybe) have the ultimate daddy of cgi dungeon crawling goodness who knows where it could end up?

Do we even know that the final version of KMVR will be exactly like the simulator? As a tech demo isnt it's goal just to sell the idea - a bit like the tests done for the original series back in the mists of time? and we all know how things changed from series 1 to 8!

Personally i'd love to see humans in this cgi world - it'd feel much more interactive or perhaps even a mixture of the two - cgi for monsters etc - then the human actors superimposed just like they where back in the 80's!

And hopefully the idea sparks a few more ideas in the money hungry media world and many variations are spawned like the dreaded "reality tv" shows that have plagued us for the last few years!

I for one will be excitedly waiting to see what the Televirtual demo spawns!

Atmosfear
Gizensha
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Gizensha »

Actually, I think Blig may have just managed to come up with the first coherent method of getting table-top dice based rp onto a tv screen without taking away the table-top dice based nature of the thing or turning it into either a drama or a sit-com.

DM and group of players on the one side of things, playing a normal game (within pre-selected parameters). On the other side of things, after the game's over, you have actors/cgi/whatever acting out the game 'as it happened'. Edit down to 45 mins to an hour, place on bbc 2 either just after or just before Time Commanders.

...I'm not sure that this is a good thing, however.