Music/Bands

Disucssion of topics that are not directly related to Knightmare.
Nightwisher
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Music/Bands

Post by Nightwisher »

What is everyone's taste in music? Does anyone have a top five favourite artist/band of all time?
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Music/Bands

Post by Pooka »

James are my favourite band by a long way. They've got a song for every occasion and they are fantastic musucians, singers and artists. And lovely guys too, from what I've experienced when meeting them.

I'm also partial to most rock/indie/alt groups such as Barenaked Ladies, Smash Mouth, Cuban Boys and My Federation. I guess I've just named my top five. But I'm pretty eclectic and I'll listen to pretty much anything.

Also into musical comedy.

I know Canadanne is a big U2 fan, so I won't mention them but... oops!
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
Nightwisher
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Nightwisher »

I remember I had a friend at school who was an insane fan of James. Never really liked them myself but each to your own! I like people who show passion for music no matter what it is. Well, I would draw the line at one or two things :P but I think most people would.

Cannot deny U2 have some seriously outstanding songs! Not a fan of Bono though to be honest. Fantastic sounding band. They would be an amazing band to see live and I've heard it is quite an experience to see them.

Could possibly get a slagging off here but my favourite band is the Manic Street Preachers. Not everyone's cup of tea and the fans are quite......annoying. Well some of them really are intolerable and a bit deluded. I also love Scandinavian metal and older bands like the Smiths and Joy Division. I confess to loving 80 cheese :P.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Having seen U2 live six times, I can confirm it is a fantastic experience! Will be interesting to see their Glastonbury set on TV next month.

Apart from that, I like all kinds of rock/pop/indie/dance stuff from the '60s to the '90s (which definitely includes '80s cheese). Not a huge fan of more recent bands, although I do like Delays and early Keane. The Manics have done some great songs!
Nightwisher
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Nightwisher »

Canadanne wrote:Having seen U2 live six times, I can confirm it is a fantastic experience! Will be interesting to see their Glastonbury set on TV next month.

Apart from that, I like all kinds of rock/pop/indie/dance stuff from the '60s to the '90s (which definitely includes '80s cheese). Not a huge fan of more recent bands, although I do like Delays and early Keane. The Manics have done some great songs!
Wow, they are playing Glasto :O. I hope you have a nice time which I'm sure you will! Next time they are touring I'm going to get a ticket.

I actually seen the Delays when they were supporting the Manics. They were quite a decent, friendly band .

Yeah, not a lot interesting band-wise these days, certainly not from the UK anyway.

Its nice to hear of someone who has quite a broad taste in music. I think some people kid themselves into thinking they like one thing just to fit some kind of silly label (ahem "emo" "goth"). I hate labels.
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

Where to start? This is one of those off-topic subjects on the Knightmare forum that I must have been waiting years for to happen (ok could have started it myself but what the hell), so I'll attempt to go into as much detail as possible....

I too (like most people on this forum) am quite into 80s music, especially the likes of Joy Division and The Smiths, as well as yet unmentioned bands like New Order,
Depeche Mode, Echo and the Bunnymen, and The Jesus & Mary Chain.

I think Joy Division are perhaps the most influential in my music tastes, given that I also like current similar bands such as Editors, Interpol and White Lies. Smiths-wise, the only similar band that I'm really into is Gene - but an interesting piece of personal trivia here. When I started properly using the internet back in 2000, the Gene bulletin board (later spawning the Olympians offspring) was the first internet forum that I regularly frequented.... a few months down the line, and Knightmare officially became the second. Gene split in 2004, but frontman Martin Rossiter has only recently started touring as a solo artist, and this month was in fact his very first gigs in that stature, I happening to see his London and Manchester shows!

If I can categorise, other Manchester-based acts I like are Doves, Lowline and The Stone Roses. Indie-wise, you can add Arcade Fire, Friendly Fires, iLiKETRAiNS, Mansun, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds and Radiohead. I'm also into a fair bit of rock and metal, Rammstein being the most prominent but a few of the KM forum hardcore will happily tell you of my karaoke attempts at Motorhead's "Ace of Spades"! Then you have the alternative-based dance acts such as DJ Shadow, Unkle, Orbital, The KLF and Zan Lyons.

Other bands which I'm quite into but you may not heard of are Black Light Ascension, Dragons, South and This Is Radio Silence - the lead singer of the last act I mentioned recently complained that his latest song hasn't been gaining the exposure that he has been hoping for, and I quite agree given that its a masterpice, so I'm going to link to it - you can listen to the song (and potentially download it for a very reasonable amount of money!) by clicking here.

Oh, and finally can I give a quick shout to Bolt Action Five? You may be wondering "who?" and they did in fact split up a few years back, but they did what is in my personal opinion the best Knightmare tribute song I've ever known so far. They've been decent enough to keep the song on their Myspace page, which you can have a listen to by visiting: myspace.com/boltactionfive
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

Oh yes. Your Gabriel-infused shouted version of Ace of Spades was a fantastic moment, worthy of high praise indeed.
Nightwisher
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Nightwisher »

JamesA wrote:Where to start? This is one of those off-topic subjects on the Knightmare forum that I must have been waiting years for to happen (ok could have started it myself but what the hell), so I'll attempt to go into as much detail as possible....

I too (like most people on this forum) am quite into 80s music, especially the likes of Joy Division and The Smiths, as well as yet unmentioned bands like New Order,
Depeche Mode, Echo and the Bunnymen, and The Jesus & Mary Chain.

I think Joy Division are perhaps the most influential in my music tastes, given that I also like current similar bands such as Editors, Interpol and White Lies. Smiths-wise, the only similar band that I'm really into is Gene - but an interesting piece of personal trivia here. When I started properly using the internet back in 2000, the Gene bulletin board (later spawning the Olympians offspring) was the first internet forum that I regularly frequented.... a few months down the line, and Knightmare officially became the second. Gene split in 2004, but frontman Martin Rossiter has only recently started touring as a solo artist, and this month was in fact his very first gigs in that stature, I happening to see his London and Manchester shows!

If I can categorise, other Manchester-based acts I like are Doves, Lowline and The Stone Roses. Indie-wise, you can add Arcade Fire, Friendly Fires, iLiKETRAiNS, Mansun, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds and Radiohead. I'm also into a fair bit of rock and metal, Rammstein being the most prominent but a few of the KM forum hardcore will happily tell you of my karaoke attempts at Motorhead's "Ace of Spades"! Then you have the alternative-based dance acts such as DJ Shadow, Unkle, Orbital, The KLF and Zan Lyons.

Other bands which I'm quite into but you may not heard of are Black Light Ascension, Dragons, South and This Is Radio Silence - the lead singer of the last act I mentioned recently complained that his latest song hasn't been gaining the exposure that he has been hoping for, and I quite agree given that its a masterpice, so I'm going to link to it - you can listen to the song (and potentially download it for a very reasonable amount of money!) by clicking here.

Oh, and finally can I give a quick shout to Bolt Action Five? You may be wondering "who?" and they did in fact split up a few years back, but they did what is in my personal opinion the best Knightmare tribute song I've ever known so far. They've been decent enough to keep the song on their Myspace page, which you can have a listen to by visiting: myspace.com/boltactionfive
You have a good taste in bands. I love the Smiths, Joy Division, New Order, Rammstein, Radiohead (think they've lost their touch to be honest). Interpol and the Editors are quite decent bands. People often accuse them of being Joy Division tribute bands and I think that's quite unfair. The voices are similar and that's all really. Jesus and Mary Chain bring out my inner goth :P. I hear Echo are touring and they will be playing Ocean Rain in full. Gawd, that would be a show worth seeing!
Nightwisher
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Nightwisher »

Pooka wrote:Oh yes. Your Gabriel-infused shouted version of Ace of Spades was a fantastic moment, worthy of high praise indeed.
Any footage of this ;)
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

Nope, sadly not.
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

Nightwisher wrote:You have a good taste in bands.
Cheers mate!
Pooka wrote:Nope, sadly not.
Although we are working on a possible and convenient moment to rectify this problem in the near future.
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Redthir
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Redthir »

I'm a heavy metal fan for the most part. Actually, you can see my top 50 artists on last.fm
http://www.last.fm/user/British_Viking