Series 8 - Episode 6

JoeGrocottJames
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Series 8 - Episode 6

Post by JoeGrocottJames »

What did they do wrong? Treguard said that they 'could have got that magic from Maldame - but you didn't'. How were they supposed to do this? I thought that most conversations worked out 'automatically' - I mean, a character would often just exchange items/spells/pieces of knowledge. So what did they do wrong? (I mean, other than the 'sidestep left' error). It seems that they were a bit 'hard-done by', because the general conclusion was that the sight potions/spells were probably essential (what else could 'that extra magic' be but a sight spell or potion?)
PunmiesterWhiteley
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Re: Series 8 team 3

Post by PunmiesterWhiteley »

They were supposed to get a spell from Maldame in return for taking the amber globe to LF's place.  The spell would have got them through the fireball room.  I think they might have had to pick up some food there because it looked as if something was lying on the floor.

Nathan and co forgot the "I help you, you help me" law of KM.  Had they crossed the room they would have become champions in my opinion.
You remind me of all the other men I've met in my life. All helmet and no brains.

(Stiletta to Mike)
LordF
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Series 8 Epi 6

Post by LordF »

Discuss the Episode and snice it hasn't happened so far discuss about the Series so far.
LordF's DA Account
LordF's LiveJournal
Also known as Lord Fear
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Re:Series 8 Epi 6

Post by TheBrollachan »

Side step to your left, no! *Bong* Oooh nasty.
::)

Also notice how the curent team upon leaving the level 2 clueroom exited via the wall and not the door. By the way what happened to the combination door mentioned via the level 1 spying?
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmokeHits
Keeper of the original modellers' cast of the Brollachan.
Tom41
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Tom41 »

Great ep! I liked at the beginning how the team were very persistant, persuading Honesty Bartram to take the gold instead of the amber globe!
Then, the globe started to glow as Maldame said it would. I don't think it had anything inside to make it glow though - the dungeoneer said it wasn't glowing, then Majida said it was changing colour. When the globe was put down on the floor, what looks like a glow superimposed over it appeared.

In the next room (where the fireballs were killing the floor tiles, as Gideon might say ;)), the death sequence was clearly specially filmed. From the speed the dungeoneer was walking, he would have got past the hole by the time the adviser said "Sidestep to the left". Yet when it cuts back, you see he's right next to the hole (and the food item has gone)!
Watch closely and you'll see his foot hit the floor of the studio just before he falls into the hole. The brightness of the scene is also slightly different.
This one reminds me of "Simon, sidestep to the left!"

What's with that arm movement that Treguard does whenever a team dies in this series? Unfair death though, as the option of getting magic from Maldame wasn't even hinted at until the team left the room with Maldame!

New team, in the first room of the tunnels, you could just see Brother Strange hiding behind a blue panel which wasn't aligned properly to the edge of the arch. I think one of the advisers picked up on it ;)

Also, I think the fireball graphic on the spy-glass scenes is added on for the broadcast - the advisers don't see it. Instead, the screen begins to turn red/purple (like it did in a couple of Daniel's spy-glass scenes), and the adviser here said that it was turning red!

Also notice that the spell book animation appears just _before_ they shout Spellcasting, indicating that it was added on afterwards. I wonder if the letters appeared on the adviser's monitor?

Is it just me, or did they have no use for that sand-timer thing that they picked up? They didn't use it during Level 1, and in Level 2 they were allowed 2 items again!

I think they should have taken the Brain Pills in Level 2, since Majida (and the scroll) hinted on it. Still, they managed to give the correct answer to Sidriss before Snapper Jack took her!

If I remember correctly they used the Stinkwort as part of the ingredients for the FILLET spell in a later episode.
One day you say "Enter Stranger" and big goblin comes in!
Billy
Knight
Knight

Post by Billy »

Treguard said the team died due to not getting anything in return from Maldame, but it looked to me like they could have done it anyway if one of the advisors hadn't told Nathan to sidestep left! (Echoes of Series 4) I liked how the advisors replied to Treguard's explanation at the end, though This was an odd episode all round- we had the goblins and Rothberry, both haven't been seen in ages. And Rothberry FLOATED above the trapdoor...eh? But we had a good quote from Brother Strange: "They call me Brother Strange, because...well, some people find me a bit odd"! I noticed two bloopers- in the eyeshield sequence of the Level 1 clue room, the texture from the wall disappeared, meaning it became completely blank, and in the Level 2 clue room, the dungeoneer went through one of the walls at the end! And Treguard pretty much gave away what happens tomorrow at the end. Oh well.

Onto the Series so far...I wasn't sure about it at all at first, but I've grown to love it like the others! The new CGI rooms are all excellent, especially the Level 3 surroundings. Honesty Bartram isn't as good as Rothberry, but it's nice to see he hasn't replaced him. SnapperJack is EXCELLENT, it's great to have a three-riddles character again. And Motley's back! The reach wand is...ok, but I don't really see the need for it. All in all, this is another smashing series, it's just a shame this series is so short...
HarveyTowers
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by HarveyTowers »

"Deviousness is my middle name!"
"Really, Lissard? I thought it was Timothy"

Not sure about this team, them seem to be to busy talking amongst themselves to realise the dugeoneer has something to do.

As far as bloopers go, the second knife didn't fly until Stiletta's hand was back down by her side. Stiletta gave the team some information but I think they could have spoken to her more (well, I would have!)

Maybe the egg-timer could have been used in fire ball alley to slow it down- or it could have been meant for Stiletta. But the scroll meant them to take the egg timer surly.

The team also don't seem to know whether or not they want to make the fillet spell or not.

Snapper Jack sounded different this ep, I think the actor still thought he was playing Bartram. Also, as "two gets you through" Sidriss must have got at least one question right!
Last edited by HarveyTowers on 31 May 2004, 21:03, edited 1 time in total.
Good night out there; whatever you are!
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

I missed this ep (1st time I've missed an ep since it's been on challenge!!) lol

but cheers for the episode descriptions.. great stuff.

As for the season as a whole.. it's alright.. better then 7.
It's the new look and atmosphere what i like..
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
Gaminguy
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Gaminguy »

Yea, when does that rune puzzle come in that LF was talking about?
Tom41
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Tom41 »

I think the rune puzzle was intended for the team that was currently playing as the episode started. However, that team died, the storyline was thrown out, and a new storyline was started up for the new team. Hence the rune-lock didn't get used.
One day you say "Enter Stranger" and big goblin comes in!
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Re:Series 8 team 3

Post by Drassil »

Picking up a tangent from another thread:
Drassil wrote: In Quest 2 of Series 8 (see clip) ... it's possible that Treguard was linking the reason for the team being in 'losing status' to the dangerous obstacle at hand in order to tie up the quest, as I suspect he did on some other occasions (Quest 5 of Series 4, and maybe even Quest 10 of Series 3).
Eyeshield wrote: That's right. We all know that Vicky didn't need Merlin's spell (SPRINT) to get through the Block and Tackle, but rather to escape from Ariadne later on. However, Treguard said they needed it on the Block and Tackle so they could neatly be killed off there. Even at the age of 7, this rankled with me. I think Daniel and the CoB/SIGHT potion thing was exactly the same.
I would also include Team 3 of Series 8 in this category. A big business is made of the team not having asked Maldame for a reward, with a Treguard-Majida exchange on the matter that I'd speculate was filmed later and inserted retrospectively (http://youtube.com/watch?v=-y1CD_ANXlw, 3:37 onwards). When the team dies in the Raining Fireballs room, Treguard tells them that magic from Maldame might have helped them with the "very difficult puzzle." (http://youtube.com/watch?v=zdR-OEbOFOk, 4:00 onwards.) How insulting! As a viewer, who would have known that the team died through a simple sidestepping error on an obstacle so uncomplicated that it had been on Level 1 of the previous quest, I resent having to swallow Treguard's contrived, false post-mortem.

The more I think about it, the less I believe that the team needed to have secured something from Maldame to survive the Raining Fireballs room. She gave them no clear opening to do so, and compare that to the staggeringly unsubtle prompt she gave Dunstan after he'd been of service to her:

"I expect you're one of those dubious little people who expect something in return for this rather doubtful information ... What do you want then? Spit it out!"

And then he won his quest without needing her help anyway!

It's bad enough that Nathan's team guided their dungeoneer down a hole so close to victory, without Treguard deceiving them and patronising them. Still, that's just my opinion, and I don't claim to know what was actually going on.

...I was about to post all that, but then I looked down this thread and saw Tom's comment:
Tom41 wrote: ... the death sequence was clearly specially filmed. From the speed the dungeoneer was walking, he would have got past the hole by the time the adviser said "Sidestep to the left". Yet when it cuts back, you see he's right next to the hole (and the food item has gone)!
Watch closely and you'll see his foot hit the floor of the studio just before he falls into the hole. The brightness of the scene is also slightly different.
It is indeed very suspicious. I can only assume that the team were in losing status for some unknown reason, and it was arranged that their death would be staged in the Raining Fireballs room. Or maybe they finished the room, then perished in some other way, and it was decided that a death in the Raining Fireballs room would work better, so the fatal fall was staged and then added retrospectively, with a contrived post-mortem to go with it.

It's so frustrating not to know the truth.
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
Selphie
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Selphie »

I've just watched those clips and I'm actually shocked I never noticed the continuity error with the food before. You're right that it really does look dodgy with the death; we get a long shot of the advisers and then back to the dungeon and the rooms a different colour, the foods gone and oh look, Nathan's fallen down the hole.

Shame we'll never know what actually happened, but yes it certainly looks like it's been altered.
A revolution without dancing isn't a revolution worth having.
Romana

Post by Romana »

Falling into a hole because his knee gave way - what an unfair way to go! ;)
knightmaredave
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by knightmaredave »

well several other teams made it with no rea;l help so im sure they could have done it sometimes i think treguard said things just to make it look like they really had forgotten something as to round it off. Great room tho!!!!
knightmaredave
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Re:Series 8 Epi 6

Post by JamesA »

Tom41 wrote:Is it just me, or did they have no use for that sand-timer thing that they picked up? They didn't use it during Level 1, and in Level 2 they were allowed 2 items again!
I recently watched this episode and thought exactly the same thing.... Given that it was the only clue on the scroll in the Level 1 Clue Room ("Keep your eye on the clock") you'd think it would have been of some use, but despite the team taking this item it proved to be of no value whatsoever. You'd think that maybe it could have well indeed slowed down the fireballs further on in the level, but instead it has provided one of the more curious plot holes to have happened in the show.
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary